Mandrax Addiction: What Do You Need To Know?
Mandrax, “buttons”, “white pipe” or quaaludes as the substance is sometimes known, is a commonly used drug in South Africa. It is a depressant that is highly addictive, with a sedative effect on the nervous system. It is often combined with cannabis for a better “high”.
With our years of Mandrax addiction treatment, we understand the symptoms of Mandrax addiction and how to treat it.
What Is Mandrax Addiction?
Mandrax addiction is a disorder which affects a person’s brain or behaviour. It leads to the inability to control the use of an illegal drug or medication. When you become addicted, you continue to use the drug despite the obvious harm it is causing you.
With Mandrax, one or two uses can be powerful enough to form an addiction. As a leading Mandrax addiction rehab in Cape Town, we understand the behavioural signs to look out for, which include the following:
- Chronic dishonesty (lying, stealing, cheating)
- Changes in friends, evasiveness in talking about new friends
- Increasing and inappropriate anger, hostility, irritability and secretiveness
- Reduced motivation, energy, self-discipline and self-esteem
- Diminished interest in extracurricular activities and hobbies
If a person needs Mandrax addiction help, they may also need help with mental health problems, as Mandrax can be attractive to those looking to self-medicate due to sadness, despair, or hopelessness.
Mandrax Addiction Symptoms
If you are unsure that you need Mandrax addiction treatment, it is best to understand the symptoms. Mandrax addiction in Cape Town has become a real problem but with some understanding, you can choose the help that is right for you.
- Red, glazed or puffy eyes, especially if the Mandrax is taken together with cannabis
- Weight loss, either drastic or gradual
- Decreased alertness or awareness of surroundings
- A decrease in concentration, even for the most simple of tasks
- Restlessness when not using the drug
- Slurred speech
- Increased relaxation or feelings of unnatural happiness
- Poor coordination or clumsiness
- Aggression when the high wears off
- Falling over or passing out during or after use of Mandrax
- Nausea and vomiting
At our Mandrax addiction rehab, we also look at the long-term effects such as:
- A decreased immune system
- Possibility of convulsions after extended use
- Mental and physical deterioration, leading to further health problems
- Possible insomnia caused by interruptions to the circadian rhythm
- Impaired liver function
- A feeling of chronic intoxication (headaches, impaired vision, and slurred speech)
Who Is Most At Risk Of Developing Mandrax Addiction?
Genetics, environmental factors, and social stressors can have an effect on the risk profile of Mandrax addiction. Some of contributing factors can include:
- Genetics or having one or more family members with substance abuse problems
- Using an addictive substance at a young age
- Having a sensitivity to drugs or some substances
- Mental disorders such as depression or anxiety
- Social or peer pressure
Mandrax Addiction Withdrawal Symptoms
Part of Mandrax addiction treatment is the understanding and treatment of the withdrawal symptoms, outlined below:
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Tremors in the body, limbs, or hands
- Insomnia or broken sleep
- Anxiety or depression or feelings of irritation
- Delirium while recovering from the “high”
- Convulsions or seizures during the detoxing period
- Excessive sweating while the body removes toxins
- Panic attacks
Mandrax Addiction Treatment Options
As one of the most established Mandrax addiction treatment centres in Cape Town, we offer highly specialised treatment options to treat both the cause and symptoms of the addiction.
Inpatient Treatment Programme
At Tharagay Manor, we offer a 28-day inpatient Mandrax addiction treatment programme.
It includes daily group-based therapy including interactive discussions, a detoxification period where we will safely monitor your withdrawal symptoms, Fellowship meetings for 12 Step Programmes, and family therapy sessions.
Halfway House Or Step-Down Programme
At Tharagay House, we offer safe and supportive residential care as part of our Mandrax addiction help.
Here you will take part in relapse prevention groups, one-on-one counselling sessions, community groups, and bonding time to encourage healthy habits.
For many addicts, therapy can help to focus on replacing unhealthy behaviours with healthy ones. At Tharagay, we intertwine therapy and counselling into all of our treatment options.
We show the addicted person that they have control over their urges and that they can overcome their addiction. The 12 Step Programme is the preferred method for this treatment.
Recovery Is Possible
With the help of Tharagay, those suffering from Mandrax addiction can recover and go on to lead prosperous lives.
We will help you to address the issues you have which you might be using drugs to deal with, and our compassionate staff will help you to maintain your recovery journey.